What is Dissertation Writing?
The main purpose of a dissertation or thesis is to generate an original piece of research work on a clearly defined topic. Usually, a dissertation is the most considerable piece of independent work in an undergraduate program, whereas a thesis is actually related to the master’s degrees. Though these terms are used interchangeably in most of the cases, these may vary between countries and universities.
A dissertation or thesis is likely to be the longest and one of the most difficult pieces of work that a student has to complete in all aspects.
For dissertation writing, there are many aspects that need to be taken care of. As unimportant as you may think, the font to be, it is still a very essential part of your dissertation. The font is one aspect that determines the readability of the assignment. Getting it wrong will surely lead to a drop in your grades. Then, which is the best font for dissertation, that will save you from the getting poor scores? The answer to this is very well answered by the professionals of Assignment Help Melbourne. Also, you can read the following content.
Tips That Can Help You Choose the Right Font Style
There is no hard and fast rule set by your universities and colleges for the kind of font to be used for your dissertation. But, still, it is important for you to figure out the best for yourself. Here are a couple of tips that can be followed.
1. Though it is tempting and is the default font style of MS Office, try not to use Calibri for the body section. The same is true for other Sans-Serif Fonts too, though these can be used for headings. The major reason behind this is that most of the experts consider it to be the easiest font in terms of reading if the text is too long and is segmented in larger chunks.
2. Take care of the way the numerals are aligned with the texts according to the chosen font style. Say for instance: if you are trying to be different and selecting any of the acknowledged font styles such as Cambria, Georgia, Garamond, Palatino, and Minion Pro, make sure that you choose the one that has numbers aligned in an organized manner.
3. In your dissertation, make use of different font styles for the headings, and a different one for the paragraphs. This will help you in putting a focus on the headings so that they become easily noticeable. This will further help in bringing about a rise in the readability of the content. This is because reading different fonts makes it easier for the examiner to go through your dissertation.
4. One of the best ways of creating a striking yet eye-catching dissertation is by using a sans serif heading with the body in a serif font style. Some of the most popular combinations of fonts include Helvetica and Garamond, Arial Narrow with Times New Roman and so on.
Is Times New Roman the one?
Most of the teachers have never-ending love with times new roman and there are many good reasons to prefer it. From the Times newspaper of London, the font style named Times New Roman was originally designed. The aesthetic and formal style is appreciated and many universities prefer academic assignments in this style only. It is considered to be one of the safest options because its readability is good and on-screen it is quite legible. Thus, it is a good choice overall.
There are a few disadvantages to choosing this font style. It is a little sophisticated and closely packed which tends to decrease the legibility to some extent. Also, this style of font is used grossly, therefore sometimes it is unacceptable by professors.
New age choice is Sans Serif Fonts
At the end of every letter of Sans Serif Fonts there is a slight protrusion which is a characteristic of the serif fonts. This font style looks good on screen and generally, it is easy to read. This type of fonts includes Helvetica, Arial, Calibri, Verdana, and more.
There is one problem with Sans Serif Fonts and it is that these types of fonts look casual on-screen. Sans Serif Fonts can cause problems when one wants to italics the font.
You may be confused about the definite conclusion. Apart from knowing the best font for your dissertation, there are other things that must be taken care of.
• The font size that you must use should be at the points 10,11, or 12. The footnotes should be 2 points smaller than the actual size of the text in the body section. These are the sizes that make it easier for the examiners to read the text.
• Don’t forget to justify the word document to the left side.
• While beginning with a new paragraph, make sure that the dent between each of them is identical.
What else you must know about the formatting?
It is essential to know the perfect font for the dissertation. The size must be 10, 11, or 12 and if there are any superscripts or subscripts, it should be 2 points less than the font size selected by you. This helps in easy readability when zoomed out. Instead of making multiple columns for various chapter, make only one column for every page. The indentation between every page should be same. The words should be double spaced, except, block quotations, captions, headings, etc.
The document should be left-justified and make sure you never write the headings of the page on the same page in the end. If space is left don’t write it and accommodate the heading on the next page. While numbering your page at the bottom center of the page, use roman numerals or Arabic numerals.