Polypropylene cabinets are used for storage in laboratories. If you own a lab or work in one, you know how important a role storage cabinets play in keeping your equipment in order as well as helping maintain them. But first, you need to know what Polypropylene storage cabinets are. Polypropylene comes from the word Polypropylenes, which is a polymer of propylene that in turn is a monomer. Ironically, this polypropylene consists of chemicals that are toxic, but by itself, polypropylene is non-toxic, very stable and safe. The reason for it to have found a variety of use in laboratory equipment and furniture is its very own structural strength and chemical stability.
The purpose of this cabinet is protecting lab staff from breathing in hazardous chemicals and giving a convenient solution along with having storage facilities.
Polypropylene storage cabinet consists of observation windows which are of hermetically tempered glass. It has locks on the door and an optional suction fan. There are ventilation openings at the top of the hood and the sides.
Getting the right polypropylene storage cabinet is no joke. It is very important that you make a sensible decision before purchasing one for your lab. Here are 10 essential things you should consider in order to buy the right Polypropylene storage cabinet:
- First things first, you should examine the dimension of the cabinets and see if it’s enough according to all the lab equipment that you need to store in it.
- Next is the space in your lab. You need to choose the cabinet size in proportion to your lab space. If you have a small lab you need to look for a smaller cabinet and vice versa.
- The cabinet quality is one of the most important factors that you must consider. Choosing a good quality cabinet is going to ensure that it will last long and most probably won’t require much repairing or need a replacement.
- Make sure you select a cabinet with the exact number shelves that you will need for storing your equipment.
- If you have a few equipments that need to be stored in a dry environment you will have to find desiccators as per the desiccants.
- You need to keep in mind that you get the right desiccators, and desiccants play a huge role in getting the right one.
- Various Polypropylene cabinets use various types of desiccators in order to keep the environment dry. The most effective ones are vacuum desiccators.
- There are many types of desiccators so you need to keep in mind the nature of the desiccants, such as inert gas, vacuum, etc, and choose accordingly.
- While purchasing a polypropylene cabinet with a desiccator you should remember is inclusive of an additional cost.
Lastly, everything depends on the budget you have as quality comes at a price. But that is not always the case; you should check the compatibility of the cabinet and decide accordingly.